Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tying the Holidays into Curriculum

In math right now the kids are learning about doubles. Some of my fellow team mates came up with a really cute idea as to how to tie in the holiday season to our lesson. They decided to have the students make Christmas tress with the doubles.

The star on the top of the Christmas tree says doubles and then the students cut out ornaments of their color choice and wrote a doubles fact on them. The stem of the tree was used for the students to answer the lesson essential question. The question was "How can I use doubles facts to help me add faster?"

Below is a picture of my example for the students to use.

I am very thankful to Kasie and Jenna for sharing their idea because my students really enjoyed it. They love Christmas and had a cute way to show their doubles facts.

Below are the two best ones from my class that I chose to hang up on my LFS board.


I know that they are kind of hard to read on here, but they did a really nice job!

Since all the students worked very hard and the Christmas trees match the holiday season I decided to hang the rest of the pictures on the windows so that everyone outside can see their nice work. I am so glad that all of my students celebrate Christmas and I can do fun activities!


No comments:

Post a Comment